The 4000 Foundation will be hosting guided tours of the La Crosse Short Line Railroad Heritage Museum in Copeland Park on the following dates and times. Admission is free and open to the public.
The La Crosse Short Line Railroad Heritage Museum was established in Copeland Park in 1963. It consists of: Burlington steam locomotive No. 4000, built in 1930 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works for high speed passenger service for the Chicago Burlington & Quincy railroad. It was retired from service in 1955; Milwaukee Road Caboose No. 0359, built by the Milwaukee Road at their West Milwaukee shops in 1883. It last saw service as a drovers car, and was retired in 1961; and Grand Crossing interlocking tower.
Built in 1928 to replace the original structure, it protected and controlled the mainline crossings of the Milwaukee Road, the Burlington and The Chicago & North Western railroads. It was the last manually operated interlocking tower in Wisconsin. The tower was retired when Grand Crossing was automated in 1991, and relocated to Copeland Park through the efforts of The 4000 Foundation.
Saturday, June 2nd – 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
Saturday, July 7th – 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
Saturday, August 18th – 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
We will be featuring a new photo that is shared with us on Instagram. Your photo could be next! Just snap a photo and use #explorelacrosse The true beauty of music is that it connects people. A photo posted by Dylan Overhouse (@illpickle) on...
Come Celebrate Leopold as a Sportsman On Saturday March 3, 2018 The Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge will honor the life and work of conservationist and sportsman Aldo Leopold on Saturday, March 3rd, at the visitor center on Brice...
Community is being asked to bring back the Herons for a 10 year anniversary Celebration The statues from the Pump House public art project “Herons of La Crosse” are looking to land in downtown La Crosse again but need a deep cleaning and repairs before...